MAN page from OpenSuSE coreutils-doc-8.32-3.2.1.noarch.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: October 2020Index
cut - remove sections from each line of files
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -b, --bytes=,LIST/
- select only these bytes
- -c, --characters=,LIST/
- select only these characters
- -d, --delimiter=,DELIM/
- use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter
- -f, --fields=,LIST/
- select only these fields; also print any linethat contains no delimiter character, unlessthe -s option is specified
- with -b: don't split multibyte characters
- complement the set of selected bytes, charactersor fields
- -s, --only-delimited
- do not print lines not containing delimiters
- use STRING as the output delimiterthe default is to use the input delimiter
- -z, --zero-terminated
- line delimiter is NUL, not newline
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of onerange, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is writtenin the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once.Each range is one of:
- N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1
- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line
- from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field
- from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering.
GNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
Report any translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/
Copyright © 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Full documentation <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/cut
or available locally via: info aq(coreutils) cut invocationaq
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.