MAN page from OpenSuSE coreutils-doc-8.32-1.1.noarch.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: October 2020Index
chgrp - change group ownership
]... ,GROUP FILE/
]... ,--reference=RFILE FILE/
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP.With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE.
- -c, --changes
- like verbose but report only when a change is made
- -f, --silent, --quiet
- suppress most error messages
- -v, --verbose
- output a diagnostic for every file processed
- affect the referent of each symbolic link (this isthe default), rather than the symbolic link itself
- -h, --no-dereference
- affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file(useful only on systems that can change theownership of a symlink)
- do not treat '/' specially (the default)
- fail to operate recursively on '/'
- use RFILE's group rather than specifying aGROUP value
- -R, --recursive
- operate on files and directories recursively
The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -Roption is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the finalone takes effect.
- if a command line argument is a symbolic linkto a directory, traverse it
- traverse every symbolic link to a directoryencountered
- do not traverse any symbolic links (default)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- chgrp staff /u
- Change the group of /u to "staff".
- chgrp -hR staff /u
- Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff".
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
GNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
Report any translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/
Copyright © 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Full documentation <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/chgrp>
or available locally via: info aq(coreutils) chgrp invocationaq
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.