MAN page from Trustix binutils-18.104.22.168-2tr.i586.rpm
Section: GNU Development Tools (1)
Updated: 27 March 1997Index
addr2line - convert addresses into file names and line numbers
- [-b bfdname | --target=bfdname][-C|--demangle][-e filename | --exe=filename][-f|--functions][-s|--basenames][-H|--help][-V|--version][addraddr...]
translates program addresses into file names and line numbers. Givenan address and an executable, it uses the debugging information in theexecutable to figure out which file name and line number areassociated with a given address.
The executable to use is specified with the-eoption. The default isa.out.
addr2linehas two modes of operation.
In the first, hexadecimal addresses are specified on the command line,andaddr2linedisplays the file name and line number for each address.
In the second,addr2linereads hexadecimal addresses from standard input, and prints the filename and line number for each address on standard output. In thismode,addr2linemay be used in a pipe to convert dynamically chosen addresses.
The format of the output is FILENAME:LINENO. The file name and linenumber for each address is printed on a separate line. If the-foption is used, then each FILENAME:LINENO line is preceded by aFUNCTIONNAME line which is the name of the function containing theaddress.
If the file name or function name can not be determined,addr2linewill print two question marks in their place. If the line number cannot be determined,addr2linewill print 0.
- -b bfdname
- Specify the object-code format for the object files to bebfdname.
- Decode (demangle) low-level symbol names into user-level names.Besides removing any initial underscore prepended by the system, thismakes C++ function names readable.
- -e filename
- Specify the name of the executable for which addresses should betranslated. The default file isa.out.
- Display function names as well as file and line number information.
- Display only the base of each file name.
'entry in info
; The GNU Binary Utilities
, Roland H. Pesch (October 1991).
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.