MAN page from openSUSE Tumbleweed parted-3.2-2.13.i586.rpm
Section: GNU Parted Manual (8)
Updated: 2007 March 29Index
GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program
[options] [device [command [options...]...]]
is a program to manipulate disk partitions. It supports multiple partitiontable formats, including MS-DOS and GPT. It is useful for creating space fornew operating systems, reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new harddisks.
This manual page documents parted briefly. Complete documentation isdistributed with the package in GNU Info format.
- -h, --help
- displays a help message
- -l, --list
- lists partition layout on all block devices
- -m, --machine
- displays machine parseable output
- -s, --script
- never prompts for user intervention
- -v, --version
- displays the version
- perform the requested action in script mode although a partition is busy
- mkpart wipes the superblock signatures from the disk region where it isabout to create the partition
- -a alignment-type, --align alignment-type
- Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid alignment types are:
- Use the minimum alignment allowed by the disk type.
- Align partitions to cylinders.
- Use minimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This andthe opt value will use layout information provided by the disk to align thelogical partition table addresses to actual physical blocks on the disks.The min value is the minimum alignment needed to align the partition properly tophysical blocks, which avoids performance degradation.
- Use optimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. Thisaligns to a multiple of the physical block size in a way that guaranteesoptimal performance.
- The block device to be used. When none is given, parted will use thefirst block device it finds.
- [command [options]]
- Specifies the command to be executed. If no command is given,partedwill present a command prompt. Possible commands are:
- help [command]
- Print general help, or help on command if specified.
- align-check type partition
- Check if partition satisfies the alignment constraint of type.type must be "minimal" or "optimal".
- mklabel label-type
- Create a new disklabel (partition table) of label-type. label-typeshould be one of "aix", "amiga", "bsd", "dvh", "gpt", "loop", "mac", "msdos","pc98", or "sun".
- mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end
- Make a part-type partition for filesystem fs-type (if specified),beginning at start and ending at end (by default in megabytes).part-type should be one of "primary", "logical", or "extended".
- name partition name
- Set the name of partition to name. This option works only on Mac,PC98, and GPT disklabels. The name can be placed in quotes, if necessary.
- Display the partition table.
- Exit from parted.
- rescue start end
- Rescue a lost partition that was located somewhere between start andend. If a partition is found, parted will ask if you want tocreate an entry for it in the partition table.
- resizepart partition end
- Change the end position of partition. Note that this does notmodify any filesystem present in the partition.
- rm partition
- Delete partition.
- select device
- Choose device as the current device to edit. device should usuallybe a Linux hard disk device, but it can be a partition, software raid device,or an LVM logical volume if necessary.
- set partition flag state
- Change the state of the flag on partition to state.Supported flags are: "boot", "root", "swap", "hidden", "raid", "lvm", "lba","legacy_boot", "irst", "esp" and "palo".state should be either "on" or "off".
- unit unit
- Set unit as the unit to use when displaying locations and sizes, and forinterpreting those given by the user when not suffixed with an explicit unit.unit can be one of "s" (sectors), "B" (bytes), "kB", "MB", "MiB", "GB","GiB", "TB", "TiB", "%" (percentage of device size), "cyl" (cylinders), "chs"(cylinders, heads, sectors), or "compact" (megabytes for input, and ahuman-friendly form for output).
- toggle partition flag
- Toggle the state of flag on partition.
- Display version information and a copyright message.
Report bugs to <bug-partedAATTgnu.org>
program is fully documented in theinfo(1)
formatGNU partitioning software
This manual page was written by Timshel Knoll <timshelAATTdebian.org>,for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others).
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.