MAN page from Mandriva 2009 glibc-2.9-0.20081113.5.3mnb2.i586.rpm
Section: Maintenance Commands (8)
Updated: 14 March 1998Index
ld.so/ld-linux.so - dynamic linker/loader
loads the shared libraries needed by a program, prepares the programto run, and then runs it.Unless explicitly specified via the-static
during compilation, all Linux programs are incomplete and require further linking at run time.
The necessary shared libraries needed by the program are searched for in the following order
- Using the environment variableLD_LIBRARY_PATH(LD_AOUT_LIBRARY_PATHfor a.out programs).Except if the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which case itis ignored.
- From the cache file/etc/ld.so.cachewhich contains a compiled list of candidate libraries previously foundin the augmented library path.
- In the default path/usr/lib,and then/lib.
- A colon-separated list of directories in which to search forELF libraries at execution-time.Similar to the PATHenvironment variable.
- A whitespace-separated list of additional, user-specified, ELF shared libraries to be loaded before all others.This can be used to selectively override functions in other shared libraries.For setuid/setgid ELF binaries, only libraries in the standard searchdirectories that are also setgid will be loaded.
- If present, causes the program to list its dynamic library dependencies,as if run by ldd, instead of running normally.
- If present, causes the dynamic linker to resolve all symbols at programstartup instead of when they are first referenced.
- A colon-separated list of directories in which to search fora.out libraries at execution-time.Similar to the PATHenvironment variable.
- The name of an additional, user-specified, a.out shared library to be loaded after all others.This can be used to selectively override functions in other shared libraries.
- Suppress warnings about a.out libraries with incompatible minor version numbers.
- Don't ignore the directory in the names of a.out libraries to be loaded.Use of this option is strongly discouraged.
- a.out dynamic linker/loader
- ELF dynamic linker/loader
- File containing a compiled list of directories in which to search forlibraries and an ordered list of candidate libraries.
- File containing a whitespace separated list of ELF shared libraries tobe loaded before the program.libraries and an ordered list of candidate libraries.
- shared libraries
Currentlyld.sohas no means of unloading and searching for compatible or newer version oflibraries.
ld.sofunctionality is only available for executables compiled using libc version4.4.3 or greater.
David Engel, Eric Youngdale, Peter MacDonald, Hongjiu Lu, LinusTorvalds, Lars Wirzenius and Mitch D'Souza (not necessarily in that order).
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.