MAN page from Mandriva 2008 coreutils-doc-6.9-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: September 2007Index
chgrp - change group ownership
]... GROUP FILE
]... --reference=RFILE FILE
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP.With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE.
- -c, --changes
- like verbose but report only when a change is made
- affect the referent of each symbolic link (this isthe default), rather than the symbolic link itself
- -h, --no-dereference
- affect each symbolic link instead of any referencedfile (useful only on systems that can change theownership of a symlink)
- do not treat `/' specially (the default)
- fail to operate recursively on `/'
- -f, --silent, --quiet
- suppress most error messages
- use RFILE's group rather than specifying aGROUP value
- -R, --recursive
- operate on files and directories recursively
- -v, --verbose
- output a diagnostic for every file processed
The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -Roption is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the finalone takes effect.
- if a command line argument is a symbolic linkto a directory, traverse it
- traverse every symbolic link to a directoryencountered
- do not traverse any symbolic links (default)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- chgrp staff /u
- Change the group of /u to "staff".
- chgrp -hR staff /u
- Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff".
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
Report bugs to <bug-coreutilsAATTgnu.org>.
Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms ofthe GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>.There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation forchgrp
is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If theinfo
programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info chgrp
should give you access to the complete manual.
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.