MAN page from Fedora 11 libtiff-3.8.2-15.fc11.x86_64.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: November 2, 2005Index
fax2ps - convert aTIFF
facsimile to compressed tm
reads one or moreTIFF
facsimile image files and prints a compressed form of on the standard output that is suitable for printing.
By default, each page is scaled to reflect theimage dimensions and resolutions stored in the file.The-xand-yoptions can be used to specify the horizontal and verticalimage resolutions (lines/inch), respectively.If the-Soption is specified, each page is scaled to fill an output page.The default output page is 8.5 by 11 inches.Alternate page dimensions can be specified in inches with the-Wand-Hoptions.
By defaultfax2psgenerates for all pages in the file.The-poption can be used to select one or more pages froma multi-page document.
fax2psgenerates a compressed form of that isoptimized for sending pages of text to a printer attached to a host through a low-speed link (suchas a serial line).Each output page is filled with white and then onlythe black areas are drawn.The specification of the black drawing operationsis optimized by using a special font that encodes themove-draw operations required to fillthe black regions on the page.This compression scheme typically results in a substantiallyreduced description, relative to the straightforwardimaging of the page with a imageoperator.This algorithm can, however, be ineffectivefor continuous-tone and white-on-black images.For these images, it sometimes is more efficient to sendthe raster bitmap image directly; seetiff2ps(1).
- -p number
- Print only the indicated page.Multiple pages may be printed by specifyingthis option more than once.
- -x resolution
- Useresolutionas the horizontal resolution, in dots/inch, of the image data.By default this value is taken from the file.
- -y resolution
- Useresolutionas the vertical resolution, in lines/inch, of the image data.By default this value is taken from the file.
- Scale each page of image data to fill the output page dimensions.By default images are presented according to the dimensioninformation recorded in the TIFFfile.
- -W width
- Usewidthas the width, in inches, of the output page.
- -H height
- Useheightas the height, in inches, of the output page.
Some messages about malformed TIFF
images come from theTIFF
Various messages about badly formatted facsimile imagesmay be generated due to transmission errors in receivedfacsimile.fax2psattempts to recover from such data errors by resynchronizingdecoding at the end of the current scanline.This can result in long horizontal black lines in the resultant image.
If the destination printer supports Level II thenit is always faster to just send the encoded bitmap generatedby thetiff2ps
should probably figure out when it is doing a poorjob of compressing the output and just generate to image the bitmap raster instead.
Libtiff library home page:http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.