MAN page from Mandriva 2007 coreutils-doc-5.97-6.mdv2007.0.mde.i586.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: October 2006Index
cut - remove sections from each line of files
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -b, --bytes=LIST
- select only these bytes
- -c, --characters=LIST
- select only these characters
- -d, --delimiter=DELIM
- use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter
- -f, --fields=LIST
- select only these fields; also print any linethat contains no delimiter character, unlessthe -s option is specified
- with -b: don't split multibyte characters
- complement the set of selected bytes, charactersor fields.
- -s, --only-delimited
- do not print lines not containing delimiters
- use STRING as the output delimiterthe default is to use the input delimiter
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of onerange, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is writtenin the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once.Each range is one of:
- N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1
- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line
- from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field
- from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
Written by David Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering.
Report bugs to <bug-coreutilsAATTgnu.org>.
Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms ofthe GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>.There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation forcut
is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If theinfo
programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info cut
should give you access to the complete manual.
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.