MAN page from RedHat 5.X shadow-utils-980403-3.i386.rpm
Section: Maintenance Commands (8)Index
- update and create new users in batch
reads a file of user name and cleartext password pairsand uses this information to update a group of existing users or tocreate new users.Each line is in the same format as the standard password file (seepasswd
(5)) with the following exceptions.
- This field will be encrypted and used as the new valueof the encrpted password.
- This field will be ignored for shadow passwords if the user alreadyexists.
- This field may be the name of an existing group, in which case thenamed user will be added as a member. If a non-existent numericalgroup is given, a new group will be created having this number.
- This field will be checked for existence as a directory and a newdirectory with the same name will be created if it does not already exist.The ownership of the directory will be set to be that of the userbeing created or updated.
This command is intended to be used in a large system environment wheremany accounts are updated at a single time.
The input file must be protected since it contains unencrypted passwords.
Julianne Frances Haugh (jfhAATTtab.com)
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.