MAN page from OpenSuSE pwdutils-3.2.5-2.4.1.x86_64.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: February 2004Index
chfn - change finger information
- [-D binddn] [-P path] [-f name] [-o office] [-p phone] [-h home_phone] [-m other] [-r service] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user]
is used to change the user finger information. This arethe users fullname, office room number, office phone number and home phonenumber. This information is stored in the /etc/passwd
file andtypically printed byfinger
(1)and similiar programs. A normal user may only change the fields for theirown account, the super user may change the fields for any account. Also,only the super user may use the -o
option to change the undefinedportions of the GECOS field.
If no information is given on the command line, chfn operates inan interactive fashion, prompting the user for each field.Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to usethe current value. Enter none or a blank only to remove the currentvalue. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks.
The only restrictions placed on the contents of the fields is that nocontrol characters may be present, nor any of comma, colon, or equalsign. The other field does not have this restriction, and is used tostore accounting information used by other applications.
This version of chfn is able to change the shell oflocal, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts, if the permissions allowit.
- -D, --binddn binddn
- Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory.The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentication.
- -P, --path path
- The passwd and shadow files are located belowthe specified directory path. chfn will use this files,not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.This is useful for example on NIS master servers, where you donot want to give all users in the NIS database automatic accessto your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files.
- -f, --full-name
- Specify your real name.
- -o, --office
- Specify your office room number.
- -p, --phone
- Specify your office phone number.
- -h, --home-phone
- Specify your home phone number.
- -m, --other
- Specify the undefined portions of the GECOS field.
- -r, --service
- Specify the service where the GECOS field should be changed.Supported services are files, ldap, nis and nisplus.
- -q, --quite
- Don't be verbose.
- -u, --usage
- Print a usage message and exit.
- Print a more verbose help text and exit.
- -v, --version
- Print version information and exit.
SHADOW_CHFN - If this environment variable is set to 1
, the chfnoptions are compatible to the version from the shadow suite.
/etc/passwd - user account information
Thorsten Kukuk <kukukAATTsuse.de>
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.