MAN page from RedHat EL 5 dsh-0.22.0-8.3.i386.rpm
Section: Dancer Tools reference (1)
Updated: 2001 May 13Index
dsh - Distributed shell, or dancer's shell
SYNOPSISdsh [-m machinename | -a | -g groupname] [-r remoteshellname] [-c | -w] -- commandline
executes command remotely on several different machines at the sametime. An utility to effectively do afor a in $(seq 1 10); do rsh $a command; done
The options available are as follows.
- --verbose | -v
- Verbose output of the execution process is output.
- --quiet | -q
- Makes output quieter.
- --machine | -m [machinename[,machinename]*]
- Adds machinename to the list of machines that the command is exeuted.The syntax of machinename allowsusernameAATTmachinenamewhere remote shell is invoked with the option to make it of username.
From version 0.21.4, it is possible to specify in the format of username@machinename,username@machinename,usernameAATTmachinenameso that multiple hosts can be specified with comma-delimited values.
- --all | -a
- Add all machines found in /etc/dsh/machines.listto the list of machines that the specified command is executed.
- --group groupname | -g groupname
- Add all machines found in /etc/dsh/group/groupnameto the list of machines that the specified command is executed.
If groupname is on the form@netgroupthen the machines in the given netgroup is used to specify the list ofmachines to execute on.
- --file machinefile | -f machinefile
- Add all machines found in the specified fileto the list of machines that the specified command is executed.
From version 0.21.4, Specifying the same machine several times using any of the machine specification options will result inmultiple invocations merged into one.
- --remoteshell shellname | -r shellname
- Execute remote shell shellnameas the remote shell. Usually "rsh" and "ssh" are available
- --remoteshellopt rshoption | -o rshoption
- Add one option rshoptionto the list of options passed on to the remote shell.
- --help | -h
- Output help message and exits.
- --wait-shell | -w
- Executes on each machine and waits for the execution finishing beforemoving on to the next machine.
- --concurrent-shell | -c
- Executes shell concurrently.
- --show-machine-names | -M
- Prepends machine names on the standard output. Useful to be used inconjunction with the --concurrent-shell option so that the output is slightly more parsable.
- --duplicate-input | -i
- Duplicates the input to dsh process to individual process that are remotelyinvoked. Needs to have --concurrent-shell set.
- --bufsize | -b [buffer-size in bytes]
- Sets the buffer size used in replicating input for --duplicate-input option.
- --version | -V
- Outputs version information and exits.
- --num-topology | -N
- Changes the current topology from 1. 1 is the default behavior ofspawning the shell from one node to every node. Changing the number toa value greater than 2 would result in dsh being spawned on othermachines as well. BE CAREFUL!! This code has not been tested thoroughly.
Usually zero. There is no real way to usefully use the return value oftasks.
On error in command-line options, it will return EXIT_FAILURE.
- dsh -a w
- Shows list of users logged in on all workstations.
- dsh -r ssh -a -- w
- Shows list of users logged in on all workstations using ssh. (Itshould be of note that when using ssh, ssh-agent is handy.)
- ./dsh -r ssh -m node1 -m node2 -c -- 'echo $HOSTNAME $(cat/proc/loadavg )'
- Shows the load average of machines node1 and node2.
- /etc/dsh/machines.list | $(HOME)/.dsh/machines.list
- List of machine names to be used for when -acommand-line option is specified.
- /etc/dsh/group/groupname | $(HOME)/.dsh/group/groupname
- List of machine names to be used for when -g command-line option is specified.
- /etc/dsh/dsh.conf | $(HOME)/.dsh/dsh.conf
- Configuration file containing the day-to-day default.
There should be a dcp
for copying files to remote systems.
Configuration files should really be able to do something more than itdoes now.
Currently, the algorithm for the -Moption is not verified to be right, yet.
Junichi Uekawa (dancerAATTdebian.org)
- EXIT STATUS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.