MAN page from Fedora 30 ipmctl-01.00.00.3474-1.fc30.x86_64.rpm
Section: ipmctl (1)
ipmctl-create-goal - Creates a memory allocation goal on one or more DCPMM
ipmctl create [OPTIONS] -goal [TARGETS] [PROPERTIES]
Creates a memory allocation goal on one or more for the BIOS to read on the nextreboot in order to map the DCPMM capacity into the system address space.Persistent memory can then be utilized by creating a namespace.
The capacity values presented by this command are a target goal orrequest to platform firmware. The actual capacity values are subject tochange due to rounding and alignment requirements. If the goal request isinvalid or not possible it may be rejected by platform firmware.
Deleting the PCD can be used as a way to prepare individual DCPMMs for provisioning.See the delete -pcd command.
Unresolved directive in ipmctl-create-goal.txt - include::../ipmctl-change-goal-config-warning.txt
- Reconfiguring DCPMMs is a destructive operation which requiresconfirmation from the user. This option suppresses the confirmation.
- Displays help for the command.
-o (text|nvmxml), -output (text|nvmxml)
- Changes the output format. One of: "text" (default) or "nvmxml".
-u (B|MB|MiB|GB|GiB|TB| TiB), -units (B|MB|MiB|GB|GiB|TB| TiB)
- Changes the units that capacities are displayed in for this command. One of:bytes (B), megabytes (MB), mebibytes (MiB), gigabytes (GB), gibibytes (GiB),terabytes (TB) or tebibytes (TiB).
- Creates a memory allocation goal on specific DCPMMs by optionally supplying one ormore comma-separated DCPMM identifiers. This list must include allunconfigured DCPMMs on the affected socket(s). The default is to configureall manageable DCPMMs on all sockets.
- Creates the memory allocation goal onto all manageable DCPMMs on specificsockets by supplying the socket target and one or more comma-separated socketidentifiers. The default is to create the memory allocation goal onto allmanageable DCPMMs on all sockets.
- Percentage of the total capacity to use in Memory Mode (0-100).Default = 0.
- If MemoryMode is not 100%, the type of persistent memory to create.
- *"AppDirect": (Default) Create App Direct capacity utilizing hardware interleaving across therequested DCPMMs if applicable given the specified target.
- *"AppDirectNotInterleaved": Create App Direct capacity that is not interleaved anyother DCPMMs.
- The version of the namespace label storage area (LSA) index block
- *"1.2": (Default) Defined in UEFI 2.7a - sections 13.19
- *"1.1": Legacy 1.1 namespace label support
- Reserve a percentage (0-100) of the requested DCPMM App Direct capacitythat will not be mapped into the system physical address space and will bepresented as Reserved Capacity with Show Device and Show Memory ResourcesCommands.
Configures all the DCPMM capacity in Memory Mode.
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=100
Configures all the DCPMM capacity as App Direct.
ipmctl create -goal PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect
Configures the capacity on each DCPMM with 20% of the capacity in MemoryMode and the remaining as App Direct capacity that does not use hardwareinterleaving.
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=20 PersistentMemoryType=AppDirectNotInterleaved
Configures the DCPMM capacity across the entire system with 25% of thecapacity in Memory Mode, 25% reserved and the remaining 50% as App Direct.Configures the DCPMM capacity across the entire system with 25% of thecapacity in Memory Mode and the remaining 75% as App Direct.
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=25 PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect Reserved=25
In order to successfully execute this command:
- *The caller must have the appropriate privileges.
- *The specified DCPMM(s) must be manageable by the host software andmust all have the same SKU.
- *Existing memory allocation goals that have not been applied and any namespacesassociated with the requested DCPMM(s) must be deleted before runningthis command.
- *Security state must be disabled.Changing the memory configuration is a destructive operation which results in loss ofdata stored in the persistent memory region. Therefore, data should be backed up toother storage before executing this command.Targets may be limited to individual DCPMMs or sockets, but all DCPMMson affected sockets must be configured when the command finishes. If theselected targets make this impossible, the command will be rejected.Refer to Show System Capabilities for a list of BIOSsupported modes.
- *Some requests are dependent on BIOS and/or platform configuration. For details, referto the Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory Software Memory Allocation Rules,document number 564194. For example:
- *Provisioning DCPMMs for Memory Mode while BIOS is configured for 1LM onlywill result in unused capacity.
- *Provisioning DCPMMs for Memory Mode while not all iMCs have at least one DCPMMwill result in unused capacity.
Minor adjustments (up to 10%) in the requested capacities are sometimesnecessary to align properly according to the platform rules. There are also somesituations that require additional confirmation from the user because they mayresult in a non- optimal configuration (i.e., reduced performance).These are described below.:
The requested goal may result in a non-optimal configuration due to thepopulation of DIMMs in the system
Memory Mode capacity requested but the population of DRAM DIMMs and DCPMMs inthe system may result in reduced performance (i.e., the ratio of DRAM and DCPMMsis not balanced, DRAM and DCPMMs are not on the same channel or not all the samesize).
The requested goal may result in a non-optimal configuration due tothe population of DIMMs in the system.
App Direct capacity requested but the population of DCPMMs in the system mayresult in reduced performance (i.e., DCPMMs are not the same size or populatedasymmetrically across the socket).
The requested goal will result in App Direct capacity which is not supported bythe host software.
App Direct capacity requested but App Direct is not supported by the currentlyinstalled host software.
The requested goal will result in Memory Mode capacity that is unusablewith the currently selected platform BIOS volatile mode.
Memory Mode capacity requested by the platform BIOS is currently set to 1LM Mode.
The requested goal was adjusted more than 10% to find a valid configuration.
> 10% adjustment from the requested goal
The amount of mapped memory was limited based on the SKU resulting in un-mappedcapacity.
Mapped memory was limited based on the CPU SKU.
Therefore, before making any changes to the configuration, a prompt is displayedshowing the memory allocation goals that will be created on each DCPMM asdocumented in the command Section [Show Memory Allocation Goal], alongwith any additional confirmation messages. The force option can be used tooverride this confirmation and proceed directly with creating the goals.
The following configuration will be applied:SocketID DimmID MemorySize AppDirect1Size AppDirect2Size (Refer tothe command Section [Show Memory Allocation Goal])[Additional Confirmation Messages (see above)] Do you want tocontinue?
- RETURN DATA
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.