MAN page from Fedora 25 texlive-dvipdfmx-svn41149-33.fc25.1.noarch.rpm
Section: Misc. Reference Manual Pages (1)
Updated: 7 March 2016Index
dvipdfmx, xdvipdfmx, dvipdfm - produce PDF files directly from DVI files
generates a PDF file from a DVI file. DVI files are the output producedby TeX.groff
can also generate DVI files usinggrodvi
In TeX Live,dvipdfmis another incarnation ofdvipdfmxrather than a separate program. Compatibility is attempted as best aspossible.
In addition,xdvipdfmxis yet another incarnation. It is used as the back end forxetex(1)and is not intended to be invoked directly.
dvipdfmxrecognizes several commonly used\specialcommands, which are extensions to the DVI format. Specifically, itunderstands color specials, papersize specials, tpic specials (whichallow it to be used withpic),hypertex specials, and some PostScript specials. These extensions allowdocuments to contain color, figures, and hyperlinks. The program triesto mimic the behavior ofdvipswhere possible, so that many macro packages produced for use withdvipswill also work with dvipdfmx.In addition,Dvipdfmx understands its own specific\specialcommands to allow access to PDF features such as annotations andbookmarks.
Unrecognized specials will generate warning messages. Packages that may need a dvipdfm ordvipdfmx driver option include geometry,hyperref,bookmark,graphicx,andxcolor.
For issues related to bounding boxes (and hence image sizes), seeextractbb(1).
Unlike with many other programs, argument values must be separated fromoption names by a space, not an = sign; option names cannot beabbreviated; and - and -- cannot be used interchangeably.
- Ignore (or accept) color\specials.By default, color\specialsare interpreted normally (changeable in the configuration file). The-coption may be used to produce a black and white documentfrom a document containing color TeX\specialcommands.
- Enabledvipdfmemulation mode. This is the default if the executable name is `dvipdfm'.
- -d number
- Specify the number of decimal digits in the PDF output; must be between0 and 5, default is 2.
- Ignored, for (semi-)compatibility withdvipdfm.
- -f map_file
- Read the font map file given bymap_file.The default map file in TeX Live ispdftex.map,as defined in the configuration file.--helpShow a help message and exit successfully.
- Select landscape mode. In other words, exchange the xandydimensions of the paper.
- -m mag
- Magnify the input document bymag.
- -o filename
- Set the PDF output file name; use `-' for stdout.By default, the name of the outputfile is derived from the input, that is,file.pdf.
- -p paper
- Select the papersize by name (e.g.,letter, legal, ledger, tabloid, a3, a4, or a5)
- Quiet mode.
- -r size
- Set resolution of bitmapped fonts tosizedots per inch. Bitmapped fonts are generatedby the Kpathsea library, which uses Metafont. Bitmappedfonts are included as Type 3 fonts in the PDF output file. Default is 600.
- -s page_specifications
- Select the pages of the DVI file to be processed; default is `-',meaning all pages. Thepage_specificationsconsists of a comma separated list ofpage_ranges:
page_specifications := page_specification[,page_specifications]where
page_specification := single_page|page_rangepage_range := [first_page]-[last_page]An emptyfirst_pageis treated as the first page of the DVI file, andan emptylast_pageis treated as the last page of the DVI file.
- -s 1,3,5
- includes pages 1, 3, and 5;
- -s -
- includes all pages;
- -s -,-
- includes two copies of all pages in the DVI file;and
- -s 1-10
- includes the first ten pages of the DVIfile.
- Search for thumbnail images of each pagein the directory named by theTMPDIRenvironment variable. The thumbnail images must be named in a specificformat: the same base name as the DVI file and the page number as theextension to the file name.dvipdfmxdoes not generate such thumbnails itself, but it is distributed with awrapper program nameddvipdft that does so.
- Show a help message and exit successfully.
- Increase verbosity.Results of the -voption are cumulative (e.g., -vvincreases the verbosity by two increments). Maximum verbosity is four.
- --kpathsea-debug number
- Have Kpathsea output debugging information; `-1' for everything (voluminous).
- -x x_offset
- Set the left margin to x_offset.The default left margin is1.0in.The dimension may be specified in any units understood by TeX (e.g.,bp, pt, in, cm).
- -y y_offset
- Set the top margin to y_offset.The default top margin is1.0in.The dimension may be specified in any units understood by TeX (e.g.,bpt, pt, in, cm).
- -z number
- Set the compression level to compression_level.Compression levels range from 0 (no compression) to9 (maximum compression) and correspond to the values understood by zlib;default is 9.
- -C number
- Miscellaneous option flags; see the --help output for details.
- -D template
- PostScript to PDF conversion command line template; the default is takenfrom the configuration file, which also gives all the details andmentions several possibilities.
- Always try to embed fonts, ignoring licensing flags, etc.
- -I number
- Image cache life in hours; default is -2, meaning to not cache images atall. A value of -1 means to erase all old images and also new images; 0means to erase all old images but leave new images.
- -K number
- Encryption key length; default 40.
- Process MetaPost PostScript output.
- -O number
- Set maximum depth of open bookmark items; default 0.
- -P number
- Set permission flags for PDF encryption; default 0x003C.
- Enable PDF encryption.
- -V number
- Set PDF minor version; default 5 (from the configuration file).
IMAGE BOUNDING BOXES
When including images with dvipdfmx
,their bounding boxes should be generated by runningextractbb
.The result will be in an.xbb
file; the xbb information is the same as for the PDF format.
library for locating the files that it opens. Hence, the environmentvariables documented in theKpathsea library
.It also uses the value of the environment variable TMPDIR as thedirectory to search for thumbnail images of each page.
The precise location of the following files is determined by theKpathsea library
configuration. The location may be determined by using kpsewhich, e.g.,
kpsewhich -progname=dvipdfmx -format='other text files' dvipdfmx.cfg
- Default configuration file
- The default font map file (this may be changed in the config file).
- TeX font metrics
- TeX virtual font files
- PostScript Type 1 font files
- The Kpathsea library configuration file.The location of this file may be found by typing
(1), and theKpathsea library
Info documentation (http://tug.org/kpathsea).
Primarily Mark A. Wicks; dvipdfmx extensions primarily by Jin-Hwan Cho,Shunsaku Hirata, and Matthias Franz. For the version in TeX Live, allbugs and other reports should go to thedvipdfmx
maintainers at tex-k (at) tug.org. This man page edited for TeX Liveby Bob Tennent and others.
- IMAGE BOUNDING BOXES
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.