MAN page from Fedora 26 nwipe-0.21-4.fc26.i686.rpm
Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: October 2014Index
nwipe - securely erase disks
nwipe is a command that will securely erase disks using a variety ofrecognised methods. It is a fork of the dwipe command used by Darik's Bootand Nuke (dban). nwipe is included with partedmagic if want a quick andeasy bootable CD version. nwipe was created out of a need to run the DBANdwipe command outside of DBAN, in order to allow its use with any hostdistribution, thus giving better hardware support. It is essentially thesame as dwipe, with a few changes:
- - pthreads is used instead of fork
- - The parted library is used to detect drives
- - The code is designed to be compiled with gcc
- - SIGUSR1 can be used to log the stats of the current wipe
- -V, --version
- Prints the version number
- -h, --help
- Prints a help summary
- If no devices have been specified on the command line, starts wiping alldevices immediately. If devices have been specified, starts wiping onlythose specified devices immediately.
- Open devices in sync mode
- Do not wait for a key before exiting (default is to wait).
- Do not allow signals to interrupt a wipe (default is to allow).
- Do not show the GUI interface. Can only be used with the autonuke option.Nowait option is automatically invoked with the nogui option.SIGUSR1 can be used to retrieve the current wiping statistics.
- Whether to perform verification of erasure (default: last)off - Do not verifylast - Verify after the last passall - Verify every pass
- -m, --method=METHOD
- The wiping method (default: dodshort).
- dod522022m / dod - 7 pass DOD 5220.22-M method
- dodshort / dod3pass - 3 pass DOD method
- gutmann - Peter Gutmann's Algorithm
- ops2 - RCMP TSSIT OPS-II
- random / prng / stream - PRNG Stream
- zero / quick - Overwrite with zeros
- -l, --logfile=FILE
- Filename to log to. Default is STDOUT
- -p, --prng=METHOD
- PRNG option (mersenne|twister|isaac)
- -r, --rounds=NUM
- Number of times to wipe the device using the selected method (default: 1)
Please see the sourceforge site for the latest list(http://nwipe.sourceforge.net)
Nwipe was released by Andy Beverley <andyAATTandybev.com>as modified version of dwipe from DBAN by Darik Horn <dajhorn-dbanAATTvanadac.com>.
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.