Section: The syslog-ng manual page (8)
syslog-ng - syslog-ng system logger application
- syslog-ng [options]
DESCRIPTIONNOTE: This manual page covers both editions of syslog-ng: syslog-ng Open Source Edition and the commercial syslog-ng Premium Edition. Features that are only included in the Premium Edition are marked with an asterisk (*). For details, see the official syslog-ng website:http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/.
This manual page is only an abstract; for the complete documentation of syslog-ng, see The syslog-ng Administrator Guide .
The syslog-ng application is a flexible and highly scalable system logging application. Typically, syslog-ng is used to manage log messages and implement centralized logging, where the aim is to collect the log messages of several devices on a single, central log server. The different devices - called syslog-ng clients - all run syslog-ng, and collect the log messages from the various applications, files, and othersources. The clients send all important log messages to the remote syslog-ng server, where the server sorts and stores them.
--cfgfile <file> or -f <file>
- Use the specified configuration file.
--chroot <dir> or -C <dir>
- Change root to the specified directory after reading the configuration file. The directory must be set up accordingly. Note that it is not possible to reload the syslog-ng configuration after chrooting.
--debug or -d
- Start syslog-ng in debug mode.
- Enable syslog-ng to write core files in case of a crash to help support and debugging.
- Set the minimal number of required file descriptors (fd-s); this sets how many files syslog-ng can keep open simultaneously. Default value:4096. Note that this does not override the global ulimit setting of the host.
--foreground or -F
- Do not daemonize, run in the foreground.
--group <group> or -g <group>
- Switch to the specified group after initializing the configuration file.
--help or -h
- Display a brief help message.
- Run syslog-ng as root, without capability-support. This is the default behavior. On Linux, it is possible to run syslog-ng as non-root with capability-support if syslog-ng was compiled with the--enable-linux-capsoption enabled. (Executesyslog-ng --versionto display the list of enabled build parameters.)
--persist-file <persist-file> or -R <persist-file>
- Set the path and name of thesyslog-ng.persistfile where the persistent options and data are stored.
--pidfile <pidfile> or -p <pidfile>
- Set path to the PID file where the pid of the main process is stored.
- Sets how to run syslog-ng: in theforeground(mainly used for debugging), in thebackgroundas a daemon, or insafe-backgroundmode, when syslog-ng restarts itself if it crashes. By default, syslog-ng runs insafe-backgroundmode.
--qdisk-dir <path> or -Q <path>
- Specify the location of the file used for disk-based buffering. By default, this file is located at/var/lib/syslog-ng/.
--stderr or -e
- Log internal messages of syslog-ng to stderr. Mainly used for debugging purposes in conjunction with the--foregroundoption.
--syntax-only or -s
- Verify that the configuration file is syntactically correct and exit.
--user <user> or -u <user>
- Switch to the specified user after initializing the configuration file (and optionally chrooting). Note that it is not possible to reload the syslog-ng configuration if the specified user has no privilege to create the/dev/logfile.
--verbose or -v
- Enable verbose logging used to troubleshoot syslog-ng.
--version or -V
- Display version number and compilation information.
The syslog-ng Administrator Guide 
If you experience any problems or need help with syslog-ng, visit the syslog-ng mailing list 
For news and notifications about the documentation of syslog-ng, visit theBalaBit Documentation Blog.
This manual page was written by the BalaBit Documentation Team <documentationAATTbalabit.com>.
Copyright © 2000-2009 BalaBit IT Security Ltd. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works (by-nc-nd) 3.0 license. Seehttp://creativecommons.org/for details. The latest version is always available athttp://www.balabit.com/support/documentation.
The syslog-ng Administrator Guide
syslog-ng mailing list
- BalaBit Documentation Blog
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.