MAN page from Mandriva 2010 openntpd-3.9p1-6mdv2010.1.i586.rpm
Section: Maintenance Commands (8)
Updated: July 9, 2004Index
- "Network Time Protocol daemon"
daemon synchronizes the local clock to one or more remote NTP servers,and can also act as an NTP server itself,redistributing the local time.It implements the Simple Network Time Protocol version 4,as described in RFC 2030,and the Network Time Protocol version 3,as described in RFC 1305.
ntpduses theadjtime(2)system call to correct the local system time without causing time jumps.Adjustments larger than 128ms are logged usingsyslog(3).The threshold value is chosen to avoid having local clock driftthrash the log files.Shouldntpdbe started with the-doption, all calls toadjtime(2)will be logged.
Whenntpdstarts up, it reads settings from a configuration file,typicallyntpd.conf(5).
The options are as follows:
- Do not daemonize.If this option is specified,ntpdwill run in the foreground and log tostderr.
- -f file
- Usefileas the configuration file,instead of the default/etc/ntpd.conf.
- Do not set the time immediately at startup.This is the default.
- Set the time immediately at startup if the local clock is off by morethan 180 seconds.Allows for a large time correction,eliminating the need to runrdate(8)before starting.
- defaultntpdconfiguration file
, Network Time Protocol (Version 3), March 1992.
, Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4, October 1996.
program first appeared inOpenBSD 3.6 .
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.