Section: User Commands (1)
Updated: May 2012Index
mkwinpeimg - Make a customized bootable image of Windows PE
mkwinpeimg is able to make a bootable image of Windows PE by taking filesfrom a mounted Windows DVD (Windows 7 or Windows 8) or the mounted ISO image forthe Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). The --windows-dir and--waik-dir options are used to specify the locations of these mountedISOs. You only need one or the other. The files that mkwinpeimg willretrieve are boot.wim, bootmgr, boot.sdi, and bcd. Ifmaking an ISO image, the file etfsboot.com is also retrieved. Microsoftowns the rights to these files and they are not distributed with WIMLIB.
mkwinpeimg can currently make two types of bootable images. The defaultis to make a bootable disk image. The image is not partitioned and is formattedinto a FAT filesystem. syslinux(1) is required to make this type ofimage, as it is used to chainload bootmgr. Also, mtools(1) isrequired so that the FAT filesystem can be created without root privileges.
The other type of bootable image that mkwinpeimg can make is a bootableISO image. To make this type of image, give the --iso option.mkisofs(1) is required to make this type of image.
If you make a disk image, you could put it on a USB drive, and if you make anISO image, you could put it on a CD. In addition, both types of images can beloaded by the SYSLINUX or PXELINUX bootloaders using the MEMDISK module.
Windows PE itself is contained in the boot.wim file. mkwinpeimg canmodify this file before embedding it in a bootable image. The most usefulmodification is to specify an executable or batch file for Windows PE to executeas soon as it starts up. Use the --start-script FILE option tospecify such a file. You may also add arbitrary files to boot.wim byputting them in a directory, then specifying the --overlay DIRoption.
mkwinpeimg can also make only a modified boot.wim, rather than abootable ISO or disk image, if the --only-wim option is given.
The Windows PE WIMs provided in Windows 7, Windows 8, and the WAIK are not thesame, but are all similar. The best one to use is likely the one from the WAIK,as that one is the smallest.
- -i, --iso
- Make an ISO image instead of a disk image.
- -o, --only-wim
- Make neither a disk image nor an ISO image; instead, only make a modifiedboot.wim file.
- -W, --windows-dir=DIR
- Use DIR as the location of the mounted Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD. Default is/mnt/windows, then /mnt/windows7, then /mnt/windows8.
- -A, --waik-dir=DIR
- Get the boot files and boot.wim from the ISO of the Windows AutomatedInstallation Kit mounted on DIR instead of from the Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD.
- -s, --start-script=FILE
- Add FILE to the root directory of Windows PE image and adjust\Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini to execute FILE when Windows PE starts up.
- -w, --wim=WIM
- Use WIM as the "boot.wim" file. Defaults to "sources/boot.wim" in the Windows DVDdirectory, or F1_WINPE.WIM from the WAIK if --waik-dir is specified.
- -O, --overlay=DIR
- Adds all the files in DIR to the Windows PE image.
- -t, --tmp-dir=DIR
- Use DIR for temporary files. Defaults to a directory made using \"mktemp-d\".
- -h, --help
- Display help.
- -v, --version
- Show version information.
- mkwinpeimg --windows-dir=/media/windows winpe.img
Create a bootable disk image of Windows PE from the Windows DVD mounted on/media/windows.
- mkwinpeimg --iso --waik-dir=/media/waik --overlay=winpe_overlay winpe.iso
Create a bootable ISO of Windows PE from the WAIK mounted on /media/waik, andadd all the files in "winpe_overlay" to Windows PE's filesystem.
- mkwinpeimg --start-script=install.cmd --windows-dir=/media/windows /var/tftpboot/winpe.img
Create a bootable image of Windows PE from the Windows DVD mounted on/media/windows, add and make it execute "install.cmd" when it starts up. Inthis example the image is created in the root directory of the TFTP server fornetwork booting.
Microsoft's licenses may limit the things that Windows PE can be used for, andthey may limit your rights to redistribute customized versions of Windows PE.
Report bugs to ebiggers3AATTgmail.com.
- REPORTING BUGS
- SEE ALSO
This document was created byman2html,using the manual pages.